How Do I Get My Mileage Reimbursement From Virginia Workers’ Compensation?
In Virginia, injured workers can be reimbursed for their travel expenses for trips to their doctors’ appointments, therapy appointments, and meetings with rehabilitation workers. If the workers’ comp insurance company hasn’t accepted your claim yet, they will not give you mileage reimbursements.
Here’s what you need to do to get your mileage reimbursement:
- Fill out the Transportation/Travel Expense Form (VWCC Mileage Expense-Form) and prepare it to be sent to the workers’ compensation insurance company. Be sure to fill out your name, address, date of your work injury.
- Fill in the chart with the dates you traveled, the addresses you traveled from and to, and total miles traveled.
- If you have to take a taxi or other form of transportation, or if you had any fees for tolls, you don’t need to fill in the mileage amount for those expenses. Just list the addresses “traveled from” and “traveled to” as well as the cost of the ride. Be sure to keep your receipts, mark the box under “additional travel expenses,” and attach your receipts to the form.
- To calculate round trip mileage, you can use Google Maps, MapQuest, or other similar program. Enter your beginning address and ending address. The program will give you the one-way mileage between the two destinations. Double the one-way mileage to get your round-trip mileage.
- You will also need to have documentation from the medical office that you visited the provider on each day you are requesting a mileage reimbursement. You can usually ask someone at the Reception Desk to print out verification that you attended an appointment. This documentation must be attached to the Transportation/Travel Expense Form.
- Be sure to SIGN the Transportation/Travel Expense Form at the bottom and attach all necessary documentation.
- Make a copy of the transportation form and all attachments. Send one copy of the form to your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company and keep one copy for yourself.
- If you have not received your mileage reimbursement check within 3 weeks, you can call the insurance adjuster directly.
Talk To a Virginia Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
If you’ve been burned on the job, it is wise to talk to a lawyer who is experienced in workers’ compensation claims. At the Ritchie Law Firm, you can talk to us for FREE . . . NO STRINGS ATTACHED! We can give you advice on your claim before you make a decision that could damage your case. Check out our article on “How Much Does a Workers’ Comp Lawyer Cost” here.
For more than 45 years, the Ritchie Law Firm has successfully helped thousands of injured workers navigate the complex workers’ compensation process. The Ritchie Law Firm specializes in serving injury victims. We never represent insurance companies or corporations. If your workers’ compensation case is going to hearing, you will want a trial expert on your side. We are board certified trial specialists through the National Board of Trial Advocacy. The attorney you choose for your workers’ compensation case can make all the difference.
Virginia Workers’ compensation is a complex system that can be very difficult to navigate. Be very careful to make certain that your rights are protected before you sign anything. There is no cost to talk to our workers’ comp lawyers. If we take your case, we don’t get a fee unless we win your case. There is no risk to you to get some information about your case before you make any decision that might negatively affect its outcome.
Choose wisely. . . you can talk to us for FREE.
Call today 800-277-6124, fill out the form below or
download our free ebook in the side panel.