Wrongful Death Legal Claims
Losing a loved one is difficult enough, but losing that person due to another’s negligence is tragic. When you are in the process of grieving a loss, you need assistance to ensure that the bills get paid and life proceeds as normally as possible in such a difficult situation. While it may be uncomfortable to think about insurance claims at such a terrible time, a professional and highly skilled attorney can help prevent a very difficult situation from becoming even worse. While nothing can ever replace a loved one, at the very least, a recovery from an insurance claim can offer some financial security and hope for future stability.
Legal Action After a Wrongful Death Occurs
Unfortunately, when the sudden and unnecessary loss of a loved one occurs, families are often expected to move quickly to pursue legal action. It is essential that you have an experienced legal team which can move your legal case forward to ensure the best possible outcome.
A wrongful death claim is in the category of personal injury torts. This type of claim is utilized to hold an individual, corporation, or other group accountable for negligence which caused injury to another person.
Virginia and West Virginia law permits the deceased’s estate to recover damages such as:
- Compensation for reasonably expected loss of income of the decedent and services, protection, care and assistance provided by the decedent;
- Expenses for the care, treatment and hospitalization of the decedent incident to the injury resulting in death;
- Reasonable funeral expenses;
- Sorrow, mental anguish, and solace, which may include society, companionship, comfort, guidance, kindly offices and advice of the decedent; and,
- Reimbursement for any punitive damages, if the negligence is found to be “willful or wanton.”
In Virginia and West Virginia, the Ritchie Law Firm sympathetically represents individuals and families who have experienced the loss of a loved one due to the negligence of another. While helping to ensure that our client’s future financial needs are met, we continue to be sensitive to emotional needs during this time.
It is important to hire a lawyer experienced in handling wrongful death cases. Most lawyers will be interested in representing you if they think you have a good case. However, choosing the right lawyer can mean the difference between winning and losing your claim.