If you’ve been injured on the job, your employer is required to give you a list of at least 3 doctors that you can choose from to get medical treatment.  If your employer gives you a list of doctors, you are required to select one from the list.  However, if your employer doesn’t provide you with a list or denies your claim, you can choose your own treating doctor.  It’s important that you know whether you can change your workers’ comp doctor.

Know Your Rights!

Don’t ever allow your employer to force you to go to its “company doctor.”  You must insist on getting that list of 3 doctors to choose from.  Often, company doctors have been conditioned to minimize the workers’ injuries to try to keep workers’ compensation claims at a minimum.

What Does Workers’ Comp Have to Pay For?

Your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company has to pay for medical services that are provided by your treating doctor, services which your doctor has ordered or requested, and for the services provided by any specialist that your treating doctor might refer you to.  Your employer’s insurance company does NOT have to pay for medical care that is not authorized or which is not required to treat your job-related injury.

What Should I Tell My Doctor About My Accident And Injuries?

You should give your doctor as much detail as possible about your accident and injuries.  Information about things such as parts of your body that were involved, location of any bruising, areas of soreness, whether you lost consciousness, and problems with vision or memory.  You should also be prepared to describe the kind of pain you experience, including the location of the pain; whether it is sharp or dull; whether it involves burning, tingling, or numbness; how long it lasts; what kinds of activities seem to aggravate the pain; and, whether medication helps.

Changing A Treating Doctor

You may, at your own expense, consult a doctor of your choice for a second opinion or evaluation.  If you are dissatisfied with your medical treatment, you may ask your employer’s insurance company to change your treating doctor.  The insurance company can authorize this change for you if they choose.  If they do not agree to the change in physicians, you can ask for a hearing with the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission so a judge can determine if there should be a change in your doctor.

If you change doctors without permission, the employer’s insurance company does not have to pay for your treatment.

Talk To An Experienced Virginia Workers’ Compensation Lawyer

If you have questions about how to describe your work injury or any other questions about your Virginia Workers’ Comp claim, it is wise to contact a lawyer for some advice.

If you’ve been injured on the job, it is helpful to talk to a lawyer who is experienced in workers’ compensation claims. At the Ritchie Law Firm, you can talk to us for FREE . . . NO STRINGS ATTACHED! We can give you advice on your claim before you make a decision that could damage your case. Check out our article on “How Much Does a Workers’ Comp Lawyer Cost” here.

At the Ritchie Law Firm, we have successfully handled thousands of workers’ compensation claims. We’ve seen injured workers who have trusted the insurance adjuster only to find out that their time to file the paperwork to protect their claim had expired.

Virginia Workers’ compensation is a complex system that can be very difficult to navigate. Be very careful to make certain that your rights are protected before you sign anything. Talking to our workers’ comp lawyers about your claim is free. If we take your case, we don’t get a fee unless we win your case. There is no risk to you to get some information about your case before you make any decision that might negatively affect its outcome.

For more than 45 years, the Ritchie Law Firm has successfully helped thousands of injured workers navigate the complex workers’ compensation process. The Ritchie Law Firm specializes in serving injury victims. We never represent insurance ompanies or corporations. If your workers’ compensation case is going to hearing, you will want a trial expert on your side. We are board certified trial specialists through the National Board of Trial Advocacy. The attorney you choose for your workers’ compensation case can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. Choose wisely. . . you can talk to us for free. Call today 800-277-6124 or fill out the form below. Ritchie Law Firm is a personal injury law firm devoted to helping individuals who have suffered serious injuries as a result of a job injury.

Ritchie Law Firm serves injured workers in all of Virginia while helping clients in cities and surrounding areas of Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Staunton, and Winchester. Check out case studies from some of the cases we’ve handled by clicking here.

Get Your Free Case Evaluation

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.